Friday, March 28, 2008

Back in Black (and White and Red All Over)

Seriously, what the hell? It was friggin’ SNOWING this morning as I drove to work. Yeah, it’s almost April, and it’s snowing. Big wet flakes, probably went on for at least half an hour. And just a few minutes ago, we got hit with a big sideways blast of hail. And I’ve just been informed that it’s supposed to snow tonight. Should I bust out some Christmas songs? I think I still have some on my iPod….

Eccentric weather aside, it’s a typical boring-ass Friday afternoon here at work. On epic endless days like this, I find myself realizing things that normally wouldn’t occur to me. Example: I’ve worn black shirts three days out of five this week. Black polo, black button-up, and now black pullover. I have at least two other black shirts that are at least semi-work-appropriate, so I could’ve gone five for five. Damn, now I kinda wish I would have. Would they notice? They sure as hell didn’t notice early last year when I dyed my hair blonde. Seriously, how could they miss THAT? Fuckers. Yeah, okay, I get that I’m the only guy on a team of seven women. I get that the seven of them are best buddies and I’m the odd man out (literally). But Christ, a simple “hey, your hair looks different” would’ve been nice. I didn’t even need a compliment necessarily… just an acknowledgment would’ve sufficed. I swear I’m invisible around here.

Yeah, I hate my job. If I haven’t made that abundantly clear by now, there it is.

I don’t read enough. I don’t read the paper, I don’t read books. I do read stuff on the internet… does that count? I’d love to be one of those people who plows through one or two books a week, who are well-versed in multiple literary genres and are always voraciously devouring more books. I’m mean, I almost feel obligated to be that kinda guy. But damn it, I don’t wanna. I’d rather watch a movie. I will point out that my taste in films is quite eclectic and varied, and I generally don’t waste my time on the mindless dreck that comprises most modern cinema. But if you bookworms out there feel compelled to brand me a rube, so be it. Believe me, nobody knows more than I do that I probably should read more, if for no other reason than to inspire me to write more regularly.

Since my book was unceremoniously kicked out of the Amazon contest before the final rounds (just call me the William Hung of the literary world), I haven’t written a damn thing. Well, except blog entries. I haven’t touched any of the short stories I was working on. I haven’t done any further editing on my book. I haven’t even glanced at my many screenplays in development. It seems I’ve completely forsaken my writing and focused on my home theater instead….

…speaking of which, I got a Playstation 3 the other day. I ordered it on Saturday, and it arrived on Tuesday (way earlier than expected; thanks Dell!). I’d moved my existing Blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S300) from the office upstairs to the living room, so I needed something to replace it. The Playstation 3 is widely considered the best Blu-ray player currently on the market, so it made sense to go that route, even though I have zero (less than zero, actually) interest in videogames. The fact that it connects wirelessly to our network and can stream audio/video/pictures from our PCs is cool too (I haven’t even explored this yet). For my immediate purposes, it’s WAY faster than the other Blu-ray player, which typically takes a full minute or more just to load up a disc (I know, waiting one minute to watch a movie is hardly worth getting upset over; war in Iraq, starving kids in China, etc). And damn, the thing just looks sexy sitting there on my desk. Yeah, I’m really liking it. When Teresa heard about its web-browsing capabilities, and realized how cool it would be to sit on the couch and do internet stuff (with a Bluetooth keyboard), her eyes lit up. I hope she’s not expecting me put it upstairs and move the other Blu-ray player (aka the Molasses Machine) back into my office. See, that would just make me sad. The Bunny giveth… and the Bunny taketh away. Don’t make me do it, honey!

Heh, get it? Molasses Machine? ‘Cos it’s so slow! Oh man, I crack myself up.

No comments: