Friday, June 20, 2008

Father's Day 2008

So last Sunday was Father's Day. And as expected, it was awesome. My wife and kids really spoiled me (once again). First off, I was the happy recipient of a tasty breakfast of bacon and eggs. Sierra made me a very good Bloody Mary (actually a whole carafe, which I thirstily devoured)....


And then it was time for gifts....


Yeah, it was basically an Anthony Bourdain Father's Day. Both No Reservations DVD sets, plus the eponymous book. Teresa even made me a custom Anthony Bourdain card, "signed" by Tony, wishing me a "Happy F@$%ing Father's Day" (in true Bourdain spirit). Kendyl also painted me a very cute picture, which is now hanging up in my cubicle at work…


Is it a frog? A lizard? A chameleon? All of the above, none of the above… who cares? It's cute, and the little goofus is a sweetie for painting it for me.

I crashed around 11:30 or so, thanks to a full belly and the sedative powers of Sierra's Bloody Mary. I slept for about an hour or so....


I'd love to say I the spent the afternoon in my hammock (which I got last year for Father's Day), but I didn't. I tried to, I really did. I've found that the best time of day for hammocking is between the hours of 11:00 and 2:00 (any later and the trees can't adequately block the sun). We took Bijou to the dog park in Tigard around 1:00, and by the time we got back… well, it was too late. I figured I'd go out later, after dinner maybe, when the sun might be low enough, but it just didn't happen. Life, man. Stuff comes up. In any case, no hammock time for Daddy this Father's Day. I did, however, spend about four hours in it the weekend before, and I'm planning on doing so again tomorrow (Saturday), so it's all good. No bitterness here.

Oh, and I got a tasty dinner too. Steak (topped with grilled mushrooms and gorgonzola cheese), grilled asparagus, baked potato, croissants. Yum.


(Wow, that's a lot of sour cream on that potato. No wonder I'm so chubocious!)

All in all, a pretty fucking fine Father's Day. My family rocks.

No comments: