Monday, October 22, 2007

Gettin' Jiggy with the Piggy...


So I like (scratch that, LOVE) pork rinds. I understand that many people are repulsed by this particular culinary item, and I must confess that I'm perplexed by their passionate aversion to it. Vegetarians hate them, and I undertand and respect that. However, fellow meat-eaters who decry pork rinds are just plain hypocritical. You'll eat the ass of a pig, but not the skin? The texture of pork rinds is probably most similar to Funyuns, which are light and crispy and not at all disgusting (they cannot, however, replace a really good onion ring). I'd wager that most dissenters haven't even actually tried pork rinds, so their opinions are uninformed and therefore invalid. I encourage everyone to get a bag of pork rinds (also known as chicharrones, also known as fried pork skins) and open your mind (and your mouth). They're actually quite healthy (zero carbs!). They come in plain, spicy, and barbecue (my favorite; I can handle the spicy ones, but I usually dip 'em in sour cream to minimize the burn). I've even seen a microwavable kind, which I find hilarious. Anyway, I can't explain my love of them. I crave them fortnightly. I love pork of all kinds (especially sausage and bacon), so it kinda makes sense. Damn, no wonder I'm such a fatty.

No comments: