Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Father's Day '07

So the Sunday before last was Father's Day (6/17). I usually get DVDs or something, but this year Teresa said she was getting me something different, something she knew I wanted, but not something I'd specifically asked for. I started getting worried that I wouldn't like it, because I'm usually pretty good at asking for EXACTLY what I want. As the day approached, I attempted to gather clues with a series of subtle (and some not-so-subtle) questions, but the woman refused to crack. What a meanie.

I'd pretty much decided that I would probably like the gift but not quite love it. So imagine my shock and surprise when the day arrived and she gives me a larger-than-life honest-to-Christ HAMMOCK. And not one of those newfangled canvas things with some big-ass support structure underneath either… we're talking old-school ropey goodness that you gotta tie between two trees. Well, I just happen to have two trees and a strong desire to sway gently in the breeze, so I was happy. Yeah, it was undoubtedly the best Father's Day gift I've ever received. I should also mention that I also got Scrubs season five (see, I got a DVD after all) and an assortment of beer glasses.

Later that day I spent a couple of hours in the hammock, listening to my iPod, chilling out and enjoying hand-delivered beers (speaking of which, rope hammocks are perfect for beer bottles… an endless supply of holes tight enough to hold 'em!). Pure bliss. Thanks, baby… you rock (as usual). Easily my best Father's Day so far (15 and counting….).

I should probably talk about the kids a bit, since they're the reason the holiday exists in the first place. Sierra (15) and Isaac (13) are my biological offspring, and they are awesome. Logan (14) and Kendyl (6), who are equally awesome, are technically my stepkids, but I consider them my own flesh and blood. The four of them are a true blessing…. They each have their own ways of cracking me up and driving me crazy, oftentimes in the same moment. Each has their own unique talents, and each makes me indescribably proud. To say "I love them" doesn't even begin to cover it.

No comments: