Wednesday, February 6, 2008

An Old Love Rediscovered...



Honey, it's not what you think! Honestly, I'm not hooking up with an ex-girlfriend. Put down that rolling pin and let me explain….

Five words: Mystery Science Theater 3000. Wait, that's four words. Okay, then: Mystery Science Fucking Theater 3000.

For those of you who have no clue what I'm talking about, Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K) was a TV show in the 90's, first on Comedy Central and later on The Sci-Fi Channel. The premise was simple: a guy and his two robot friends are stranded on a satellite and forced to watch cheesy Z-grade movies. So you would basically watch them watch the movies (their silhouettes were seen at the bottom of the screen; as if you were sitting in a theater and they were down in the front row). As the movie played, they'd make snide comments and throw out random pop culture references. Pure hilarity. I think I enjoyed the show so much because I used to do exactly the same thing: make sarcastic comments about whatever I was watching (I still do it, actually). It hasn't been shown for years (as far as I know), so it kinda dropped off my radar.

As fate would have it, I was on YouTube yesterday, and stumbled across a selection of episodes. I clicked on one and, for the next fifteen minutes, found myself right back in 1995. Absolute hysterical bliss. I did some internet research, and discovered that several episodes have been released on DVD. Several more (hell, probably all of 'em) can be downloaded via Pirate Bay or Bittorrent or whatever (I'll have to look into this). Netflix has a bunch of 'em, so I loaded up my queue. It's safe to say I've got a new OCD obsession….

On the subject of old loves, I was delighted to learn that McDonalds now has DOUBLE Filet-O-Fishes (or is it Filets-O-Fish?). I generally find McDonalds to be pretty vile, but I've always harbored a love for the glorious Filet (and frankly, no other fast food joint has a decent fish sandwich, in my opinion). I grabbed a Double FOF for lunch today, and you know what? It tastes just like a single, only… well, there's more of it. Which is juuuuuuuuuust peachy. More of a good thing.

You know, I think I'll grab a couple Double FOFs this weekend and watch me a few MST3Ks. Ah, heaven.

No comments: